Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Maui firsts...

So with this being my first trip to Maui...pretty much everything is a "first" for me. I've been here since last Wednesday...but I've done a lot of just hanging out. Yesterday I did visit my first volcano. We drove up to Haleakala. I know that most of you know...but man...what a drive. I think I might *still* be carsick! I have my certificate to prove that I survived the 37 mile drive from sea level to 10,000 feet, but I'll have to post it later, heh.

This morning I went snorkeling for the first time. I know that most of you already know how completely cool snorkeling is...but wow!! I was skeptical...but I will never doubt again! I went through about 3 minutes straight of hyperventilating when I first started looking under water. Something about having my head submerged and breathing through a tube just wasn't connecting for me. I, of course, got over it and loved every second. Even if I did spend the rest of the day with a line through my forehead from the mask...lol. I also attempted to take some underwater pictures. Unfortunately, they're not of the digital variety...so it'll be some time before I can even think of getting them put up. We'll see how they turn out :-) I also thought it was pretty much the coolest thing ever that I could hear the whales!! Again...I know that most of you already know how cool it is...but WOW!!

I got back to the condo in time to get showered and changed, then went shopping with my mom and Aunt Sharon. I definitely spent FAR too much money (although not as much as my mom OR Aunt Sharon...lol). I do have a *bit* of buyer's remorse...but I think I'll live :-)

After shopping, I went back out to the beach for a bit. I swam in the ocean with Sharon, and I can still feel the waves even just sitting here. Unfortunately, I didn't have TOO much time. I came back, took another shower and got ready *again* to head out to my first Luau. Well...my first "real" Luau, haha. One of the girls who grew up in my neighborhood was Hawaiian...so we had a "luau" almost every year in school. This one was pretty cool. The only problem is now that I'm back...my body realizes how much I've been up and going today...and I'm ready for some SLEEP! Especially when I plan on being up and going again at 7 for more snorkeling ;-).

Oh yeah...and pictures of everything will come later. I'm definitely WAY too sleepy tonight!

4 comments:

Mitsy said...

that is so cool! Good for you! Soak up some sun for me!

Tamara Wheeler said...

Ah, the good life. I can't wait to see your pictures.

Harwood Family said...

I'm oh so jealous. Enjoy your tropical getaway!!!

Cindy & Billy said...

I really shouldn't read blogs about you being in Hawii while doing homework it really makes me want to go on vacation. congrats for getting to Hawii