Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Turn Around...


So, the funeral was today (Ok, it's 2am, so technically...yesterday?). I felt very numb at first. With the viewing and funeral...it just...didn't look like my grandpa in the casket. It is, of course...but it felt surreal. Things started to hit more as the funeral progressed. It was really nice to hear Grandpa's best friend speak. It was a lot of fun to hear stories that I never would have heard, otherwise. Grandpa siphoned gas from someone else's tank to get home from a scouting activity?? When he was first ordained to be a bishop...someone spiked the punch at a fellowshipping party?? Even better...Grandma knew, and didn't tell Grandpa!! How great is that!! There were also the stories I had never heard about the war. With working on the video for grandpa (which, for those cousins that read this, I *am* making copies of...I just didn't want to sacrifice the little sleep I got last night in order to make them in time for the funeral, heh), I saw a LOT of WWII pictures. I saw Grandpa with lots of other men in the service. I did not realize that he was the *only* survivor on a mission where 8 were sent. When I see older men around who fought in the war, I never really thought about how lucky it was that they were still with us. Grandpa, especially, never talked about the war...so the naive part of me assumed he was always in a "safe" place (if that's possible). To hear that his life was spared *so* closely more than once...it's a miracle. I'll be eternally grateful for his life being spared.

I now leave in about 3 hours to go to the airport for my Disney World trip. I didn't pack until WAY too late...and now I wanted to get things updated, and pictures posted. We'll see how that goes. I'm very happy to be one of those who can sleep on planes. It'll be interesting to see how I can just turn around and be excited after such an emotional day today.

Also...the pictures from the viewing can be seen here, and the pictures from the funeral can be seen here.

Also, today was my mom and dad's 42nd wedding anniversary. How sad to have to bury your dad on that day. Tonight Lys, Scott, & I ran to Costco and picked up a cake and got my parents each their own container of cashews. It's not much...but I wanted to make sure that they weren't forgotten in the shuffle of it all.

No comments: