Tuesday, September 4, 2007

The viewing...

It feels like forever ago that I got the call letting me know that my grandpa passed away in his sleep. In reality, it was just 9 days ago. I made it through the viewing last night, though partially because of the fact that his body didn't look like him. I *just* saw him 2 weeks ago, too...so it's not like he's changed all that much (besides the whole being dead thing).

I meant to post his obituary yesterday or Sunday...but Ive been pretty busy with trying to get stuff done for the funeral.

Last night was a little surreal. As I did with my grandma, I passed over the body at first, and didn't go up until much later. My 4 year old niece, Cami, actually dragged me over to it. She just stared at him, then placed her hand on his. Very cute. She then looked over and me and said, "He is freezing!" It was quite funny. Her next comment was, "Coco, why did his spirit have to go to heaven?" For lack of a simpler answer, I told her that his body hurt really bad, so he needed to leave it here so that he wouldn't hurt anymore. She then said "It was a long time ago when Grandma Astle was in there. Then we buried her!" The "then we buried her" part was said in a louder voice while swinging her arms back and forth, almost as if she were marching. I just giggled at her, and let her know that we would be doing the same thing with Grandpa "tomorrow" (today). She then went on to talk about her excitement for Disney World (as we leave tomorrow).

His passing is still bitter-sweet. It's SO good for him to be able to be with my grandma again. Someone at my work made a comment about "deep love," and about how studies have been done regarding the passing of 2 people who deeply loved each other happening within a year of each other. In this case, I really think it came down to him not knowing *how* to live without her. I envy that feeling.

After picking up my brother from the airport at midnight last night...we're up and going, and on our way to the funeral.

1 comment:

Tamara Wheeler said...

thanks for posting this coco! I needed it. I am so yearning to hear anything. I am really sad (tears are uncontrolable at this point) I could not be there.